Wednesday, October 17, 2012

Big Girl Bed

Y'all.  It happened.

My (truthfully too big to still be in a crib) three year-old just started sleeping in a big girl bed!
John and I may or may not have had a weepy moment in her room that first night.

Yes.  I know it's a HUGE bed for a little girl.
However, this girl's ALL ABOUT not having to move heavy beds up and down stairs, so we just borrowed this one from our guest room, conveniently located next door.

(Although, if you plan to be using our guest room anytime soon, I hope you're either less than 3 ft tall, or a member of cirque du soleil.  Because you'll be sleeping in a crib.)

My strategy was simple:  talk this thing up so much she would feel the emotional equivalent of a teenager given a brand-new car.

But even better.

So, during the last week, I heard myself way over-hyping this transition on a near constant basis.  Mainly to mask the fear.  (Mine, obviously).

WOW!  Ally Grace is going to sleep in her very own BIG GIRL BED!! 
(Thank you, Captain Obvious)

THIS IS SO EXCITING!!!
(Mommy's kind of freaking the heck out over here, so can you please, please, please stay in your bed and not do anything crazy?)

BIG GIRLS NEVER, EVER JUMP ON THEIR BEDS, BY THE WAY!
(Okay, fine.  They do.  But not until they're grown-ups, okay?)

YOU'LL LOVE THAT BED SO MUCH THAT THERE'S ABSOLUTELY NO WAY YOU'LL GET OUT AND WANDER THE HALLS IN THE MIDDLE OF THE NIGHT!
(Right?  RIGHT?)

So, yeah.  I've been kind of nervous.  To put it (very) mildly.  But let me just tell you, sassy polka-dotted sheets are apparently AG's love language, 'cause that girl hasn't stepped a toe out of her bed in the last 4 nights!

YES!  SUCCESS!!  Now, if you'll excuse me, I need to go find some wood to knock on.

I'll leave y'all with this video we took of her seeing her bed for the first time.  Thank you to our friend/babysitter, Alek, who entertained AG, while we moved furniture around and fought with sassy polka-dotted sheet sets.






No comments: