Wednesday, January 11, 2012

2012

I was thinking about doing a recap of 2011 post.  But, since it's now January 10th of 2012, it may be just a tiny bit overdue.  Plus, I've forced you to listen to me recap 2011 during, let's see, ALL OF 2011.

So, I won't do it again.  I'll just say, it was a good year.  Despite being yelled at by random angry dads, getting caught outside during hailstorms, and having to THROW DOWN with Dot at HP.

Regardless.

It was awesome.

And I have high hopes for 2012.  I've got a feeling (tell me you didn't just go all Black Eyed Peas in your mind for a minute.  You did, didn't you?) that this is going to be a great year.  And, as per usual, I sat down to think up some goals for 2012 so I can bore you with them share them with you.

But while I was doing that, I read a recent blog post by my cousin, Whitney.  (Who is pretty much a saint, and the sweetest girl in the world.)  Anyway, Whitney said that someone once gave her the advice to "Be the Whitney-est Whitney you Can Be."

And that pretty much just stopped me in my tracks.  Because, y'all?  THAT is my goal for 2012.

(Not to be the Whitney-est Whitney I can be, because that would be weird and kinda stalker-ish.)

My goal is to be the Sherri-est Sherri I can be.

(Even though that actually sounds like a pretty weird mix of Dr. Seuss and the Army.)

Still.  I love it.  So here's what I think that means for me this year.....

1. Giving myself the freedom to cry at lame things that don't affect anyone else.  Like, hypothetically of course, that ASPCA commercial with Sara McLaughlin. Or the Christmas shoes song.  (At least I don't have to worry about that one til next Christmas.)

2.  Unashamedly watching shows like the Bachelor.  I like trashy TV.  And yes, I know that they aren't going to end up together.  Doesn't make it less fun to watch.  You're just going to have to deal with it. (I'm looking at you, husband.)

3.  Not heaping guilt on myself for being the kind of mom and wife who hates to cook.  Actually, I kind of loathe it.  It doesn't mean I won't do it, but I don't have to pretend to be all Martha-y, when I clearly am not.

4.  Openly loving the Hunger Games.  And Twilight.  And yes, maybe I AM a 17 year-old trapped in a 31 year-old's body.  And I'm okay with that.

5.  Feeling no shame that, this year, I choose spending time with AG over kicking butt in real estate (or at least trying to).  I still want to work, but not at a level that interferes with being her mother.  Because motherhood is the best job, I've ever had.  (You know, minus the crib-pooping incidents.)

6.  Deciding that it's okay if it makes my skin crawl to touch newspaper, if I absolutely hate playing board games, if I am more than a little bit addicted to stainless steel wipes, and if I never have Jessica Biel's body.

(Unless I steal it from her.)

(AND, there I went sounding stalker-y again.  Oops.)

Anyway, the point is, I'm excited to just be me this year.  No unreasonable goals and unrealistic expectations.  I think Psalm 139 actually says it best:

 13 For you created my inmost being; 
   you knit me together in my mother’s womb. 
14 I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made; 
   your works are wonderful, 
   I know that full well. 

Or, you know. Be the Sherri-est Sherri you can be.  

3 comments:

Melanie said...

LOVE this!!! :)

The Denbow Family said...

I know Scott told you already.....but I love to read your hilarious "diarrhea of the mouth" blog posts. I laugh out loud everytime!! I am so glad you have decided to be the Sherriest Sherri this year.....cause Sherri is pretty great. Love ya girl!

Bagwell's said...

Amen to that girl! The Sherri you are is the Sherri we love! Yay for 2012....and getting pregnant?!?!?!? No pressure, right....I just LOVE having someone like you pregnant with someone like me. Love you, girl!