Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Athens

Dear Sherri,

Your little trip to Athens today was fun, wasn't it?  You got to re-live old memories at the ADPi house, walk around downtown, and see the (in)famous Brumby again.  Good times.

But listen.....when you're chatting with the cute, young college girls working in that adorable shop downtown, and you ask them what sorority they're in, they are NOT going to return the question.  Sorry, hon.  And don't expect them to ask what "year" you are.  I'm not sure, but it may have a little something to do with the bags under your eyes. 

And your lack of desire to try to hide them with makeup.

And the fact that you asked them where to find a Georgia cheerleading uniform for your baby.

(Btw, it's not nice to wish wrinkles and early aging upon those girls either.  Just sayin.)

I know you haven't been back to Athens in a quite awhile (due to a child who insisted upon being born during football season last year.  Diva.), but it's generally best if you don't go around starting sentences with, "when I was in Athens." 

Like, "when I was in Athens, we used to go to Mexicali all the time."  Or "when I was in Athens, we still had dial-up internet. And no tivo."  And especially not, "when I was in Athens, we only used our cell phones for emergencies, and we (gasp) didn't text our friends."

You might as well tell people that you walked 5 miles, uphill, in the snow, to your classes.

Be prepared for the college children to look at you like you're an alien from another planet.  (Or just a thirty-something.  Which is basically the same thing to them.)

Let me sum it up for you:  Just because you wear jeggings, drink Starbucks, and say things like "awesome,"  people do NOT think you're still in college.  (And probably especially because you say things like "awesome.")

Sincerely,
Your thirty-something self that gets tired at 9:30, loves HGTV, and kicks it regularly in her sweatpants.

(Hey, at least it's not a housecoat.  Yet.)

3 comments:

Jenny said...

What an "awesome" post! I'm right there with you when it comes to HGTV and a 9:30 bed time. And you know what? It's not so bad being a grandma...

Bagwell's said...

You are too cool for school. Love you.

Jen Watts said...

Hilarious! Every time I go to a football game I just feel old! But I am so excited about taking my baby girl to tailgate next year!

and you are looking great in your pics so I'm not buying the whole bags under your eyes thing ;)