Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Naptime and Lions

Yesterday morning, AG woke up with a little fever.  Being the completely rational mama that I am, I promptly hyperventilated, diagnosed her with about six different viruses, all while shoving Advil in her mouth wisely determined that it must be teething.

What are the signs of teething, you ask?  Well, in my (very limited and not at all scientific) experience, they include a low-grade fever, combined with a propensity for the word NO, constant whining, and the desire to sit on the couch and watch Toy Story 3 over and over again.

Clearly, I learned these symptoms when I obtained my medical degree at the University of NO.

Anyway, to help her sleep a little better, I put some fresh sheets on her bed, along with a new pillowcase.

Never too early to start rush, am I right?

I knew the lions on the pillow would either A) make her happy or B) freak her out (as they are clearly so menacing).  With the scary unpredictable moods of toddlerhood, it was a toss-up as to which one it would be.

Let's take a little peek at how nap time went down, shall we?

Me:  AG!  Mommy put a FUN, EXCITING surprise in your crib!  And by the way, how do you feel about the bonds of sisterhood?

AG:  No, No, NO LIONS IN MY CRIB!  I want a white pillow!  WHIIIIIIITTTEEEE PILLLOOOOOWWWW!

Me:  (Thinking fast) Um, okaaaay.  Let me take this out into the hallway and get you a completely different, brand-new pillow!

Being the genius that I am, I decide to take the pillow into the hallway, flip it over onto the white backside, and bring the same pillow back in to her.  Too save time.

Because changing a pillowcase is SO tedious.

I go back into the room, and say:
Me:  Here you go, presh.  A brand-new white pillow for you.  Happy napping!

Being the genius that SHE is, she immediately grabs the pillow and FLIPS IT BACK OVER.  To see the lions.  And then gives me a look that says: Really, mommy?  I mean, REALLY?! Did you honestly expect me to fall for that?

Me:  (While nervously laughing and looking away) What are THOSE doing there?  How did THAT happen? So weird. Sneaky lions.

Or, sneaky mommy.  Ahem.

I told John this story later, and he died laughing.  And then said: "You know this needs to go on the blog, right?"

Right.  Because who wouldn't want to admit to trying to trick her two-year old as a result of being too lazy to change a pillowcase.

I'm all about keeping it real over here.

No comments: